I’ll be the one to admit I’m not a breakfast person, at all. It takes pulling my rump out of bed to Keke’s Cafe or Bagel King in order for the sound of breakfast to be bells to my ears. I’m really not even one for sweets in the morning, either. I like greasy, salty foods. Never sure why – but there are random times I do love something warm and fluffy in the morning (There, I didn’t use the actual word I was thinking of – I refrained particularly for those who can’t bear the sound, spelling or use of it!) For those of you who are oblivious to what I’m talking about, I’m sure it wouldn’t be difficult to Google by now, and for the others – you’re welcome.
So I went fresh blueberry picking lately. It’s that very narrow time of year here in Florida, and let me tell you – if you haven’t picked your own fresh fruit yet before – please do. It will change the way you think, eat and bake. I mean, blueberries are already delicious – right, the ones from Publix or your supermarket? But that isn’t even fresh. I’m talking these blueberries are literally the size of enormous grapes, people! And they’re SO juicy. So even if you checked out your nearest farmer’s market – or do a quick search in your area for fresh picking. Just try it! It will change your world.
And what else is about your change your world are these blueberry pancake breakfast muffins – on the go! Like I said – not a morning person, breakfast person or diddle-daddle in the morning with food kind of person. I like it quick, fast and easy unless I’m tempted into a feta, spinach and tomato omelet with bacon. Otherwise, these muffins are pure saints, as they are quick and easy to make.
Plus, those blueberry muffin mixes in a box – those aren’t even REAL blueberries. If they are, they’re severely dehydrated. That is why you will notice in the images of my muffins – the blueberries will pop, and they bleed, creating this beautiful work of art in hues of blue, purple and green. And, best of all, there’s no added sugar in this recipe! The blueberries tend to give that added sugary flavor on its own.
Blueberry Pancake Breakfast Muffins On The GoPrint This
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 vegetable, canola or olive oil
- 1 cup fresh blueberries (or more
- Preheat oven to 350F. Start by mixing together dry ingredients in one bowl (flour, salt, baking soda and powder), and wet ingredients in another (eggs, vanilla, oil, maple syrup and milk).
- Combine the wet with the dry ingredients until blended.
- Add in 1 cup of fresh blueberries gently. Add more if desired. If your blueberries are large in size, you may want to stick to one cup, as they will pop and bleed in the baking process. That is why, as you can see in the images, of the hues of blue and purple.
- Insert baking cups into muffin pan, or simply spray the pan with coconut oil cooking spray. Either way, use the cooking spray for both ways.
- Fill each cup about 1/2 way to make 12 (smaller) muffins, or do as I did and fill each cup slightly more than 3/4 of the way to make 6-7 medium/large muffins.
- Top with a couple extra blueberries (if desired).
- Place pan in the oven for 12-15 minutes depending on the amount in your cups (12 if you filled half way), or until the tops are golden brown. Best if served warm with butter or extra maple syrup. It’s a perfect breakfast for on the go!