*This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase through these links, I will receive a teeny weeny commission!*
You would never know those deodorants you buy from the store are actually harmful. Aluminum being one of the main concerns among them. The FDA is being very slow to react to the toxins in these products, yet consumers still have trust in these products they use every day. If you think about it, the whole point of using a deodorant is to apply something to the underarm, allowing it to be absorbed into the skin. And deodorant is an every day use, sometimes more. Other dangerous chemicals that can be found in your deodorant include, but are not limited to, parabens, propylene glycol and talc.
Aluminum based contents are found in deodorant ingredients, which block sweat from the skin’s surface. Parabens are a class of artificial preservatives found in many cosmetic products today. Both of these active ingredients are being investigated in the link towards breast cancer, due to the alteration of estrogen in the body.
I wanted to make a change – for myself. Being that I already spend that much money for something to rub under my arms every day, I knew there had to be a healthier and safer alternative. Now, when I was younger – in my teen years – I sweat a lot. I was even on a special antiperspirant because of it, and I was incredibly self conscious of sweating, being that I was generally a nervous and easily anxious person.
But everyone’s body is different. If you’re siding a little along the lines of my experience, or are looking to try a healthier alternative, then you should definitely try this simple all natural DIY toxin free deodorant I have concocted. It’s cheap in the long run, and after many trials I have noticed it works just the same as normal deodorant (maybe a little less of a fragrance), but even those fragrances in the artificial deodorants are unhealthy for you, too. This DIY recipe calls for only three ingredients, and is incredibly easy to put together.
Simple All Natural DIY Toxin Free Deodorant
TIP: To make life and the transition a little easier, save an old deodorant container, like the one pictured below. It can be the gel or solid deodorant container.
What you’ll need (3 simple ingredients):
- Arrow Root Powder – a natural drying agent
- Coconut Oil – kills bacteria, fungi and yeast, as well as having a pleasant fragrance
- Essential Oil – for fragrance
- An application container, or recycled deodorant container
Steps to creating a deodorant paste:
- Start with your Arrowroot in a small bowl. I used about 1/4 cup. Then add in coconut oil by the spoonful – you want to create a paste. Mix thoroughly with your fingers or a spoon to blend both ingredients.
- When you have found the right consistency, add in your essential oil. The oil is designated for fragrance, as well as them having great benefits for your skin. Add the amount of essential oil to your liking to the paste. There are so many essential oil scents out there – I tend to resort to the Lavender scent, but you can mix and match with an essential oils kit, or choose from a variety of scents.
- Add the paste to your desired application container.If you are using the gel deodorant container (like the one in the picture above), I noticed that in order for the paste to be pushed up through the holes, my paste needed to be more oily than dry, otherwise nothing comes out. But you can always leave the plastic holed piece out.Your paste will ‘thicken’ slightly over time in room temperature, so it may be best to use a small container to scoop some of the mixture out using your fingers, or you can go with the method I used in a recycled deodorant container and your DIY deodorant will work as a solid.
And there you have it! Safe, healthy and inexpensive deodorant/antiperspirant that does the job.